International Studies & Programs


MSU students traveling internationally on University-affiliated non-education abroad travel must register their travel with MSU. Travel is considered University-affiliated if it is funded by MSU or occurs in connection with your enrollment at MSU. This includes registered student organizations, students traveling with MSU faculty or staff, and College of Law international programs.

As an undergraduate or graduate student traveling on a University-affiliated international trip that is not part of a education abroad program, you must:

1. Submit the appropriate travel form   

If you're traveling to a country without a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning, complete the Student International Travel Registration Form.

If you're traveling to a country with a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning, complete the Student Travel Warning Waiver Request Form. MSU does not support student travel (undergraduate or graduate) to a country with a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning unless a waiver is approved. 

One form should be submitted per individual traveler or per student group. In the case of group travel, either the accompanying faculty/staff member or the designated student leader should submit the appropriate travel form on behalf of the group. We recommend reviewing the waiver request template before making a submission. Do not hesitate to contact us for assistance completing the waiver request.

2. Complete a Pre-Trip Authorization Form for each traveler

Pre-trip authorization forms must be signed by the appropriate Major Administrative Unit (MAU) authority and given to the MAU travel administrator.

3. Register in the Travelers Abroad Database

Registration in the Travelers Abroad Database should be done by the MAU travel administrator. If you do not have a travel administrator, contact OIHS.

4. Complete the online Bloodborne Pathogen Awareness Training (if applicable)

If you will be in contact with patients during healthcare activities, you must complete the Bloodborne Pathogen Awareness Training. Send proof of training completion OIHS at oihs(at)