International Studies & Programs

Home > Resources > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

If there's a major security incident abroad and I want to know how MSU is responding, how should I find out?

Will I hear from OIHS while I'm abroad?

You might! We closely monitor news events and often receive travel safety alerts from the U.S. Department of State or private security information providers. When we feel it is useful to our travelers, we pass along these alerts via email. If there's a major security incident while you're abroad, we may reach out to make sure you're okay.

Who should I contact if there's an emergency while I'm abroad?

If there's risk to life, limb, or eye, call the local 911 equivalent to get help.

If you require emergency assistance while you are abroad, call the MSU 24/7 International Emergency Assistance Line at +1-517-353-3784.

If there has been a major incident in the country you are in, but you are unaffected please let MSU know by emailing us at oihs(at) And do not forget to let your loved ones know!

As a non-education abroad student traveler, how do I know if I need to request a travel waiver?

Please visit our list of high-risk destinations. More information on the travel waiver request process may also be found online. 


MSU Global Travel Registry

What happened to the Travelers Abroad Database?

The MSU Global Travel Registry has replaced the Travelers Abroad Database. All web links to the Travelers Abroad Database will be redirected to the new MSU Global Travel Registry, effective April 19, 2017.

Who should be registered in the MSU Global Travel Registry?

Faculty, staff, and students traveling internationally on university-affiliated travel who are not part of a education abroad program.

How do I learn more about the MSU Global Travel Registry?

Please visit our Travel Registry webpage.

Why should I be registered in the MSU Global Travel Registry?

Registration in the MSU Global Travel Registry:

  • Activates free international health and evacuation insurance 
  • Serves as a crisis response tool.
  • Provides important pre-departure information.

What is considered "university-affiliated" travel?

  • University-affiliated travel is travel outside of the United States by individual students, faculty, or staff that is funded by MSU or occurs in connection with their employment or enrollment with MSU. 
  • The following group programs are considered to be sponsored by or affiliated with MSU:
    • Registered Student Organizations.
    • Students traveling with a MSU faculty or staff employee serving in a leadership or guidance role as it relates to their MSU role, including service learning programs such as alternative break programs.
    • MSU College of Law international programs.


International Health & Health Insurance Questions

Do I need to visit the MSU Travel Clinic?

You should visit the MSU Travel Clinic if you are traveling internationally and any of the following are true:

  • you are visiting a country with significant health risks (e.g. malaria, dengue, tuberculosis, yellow fever);
  • you are not up-to-date on routine immunizations;
  • you will be taking prescription medication abroad;
  • you have a pre-existing or chronic medical condition that must be managed abroad;
  • you have health-related questions about your travel.

What kind of coverage do I receive through GeoBlue?

For details visit the links below:

Do I need to activate my GeoBlue coverage before I leave?

Study abroad participants are automatically enrolled in GeoBlue international health insurance coverage through the Office of Education Abroad. You will receive your GeoBlue insurance card and instructions for accessing the GeoBlue website by email roughly one month before your program departure date. Contact us if you are leaving within three weeks and have not received your international health insurance card.

International travelers on university-affiliated travel must register in the Travelers Abroad Database in order to activate international health insurance coverage.


Are my children or my spouse covered under my GeoBlue international health insurance policy?

No, but you may purchase a separate policy for them through GeoBlue.

If I have to pay out-of-pocket for any health related expenses while I am abroad, can I submit a reimbursement claim?


Instructions and claim forms for education abroad participants may be found online.

Instructions and claim forms for international travelers that registered in the Travelers Abroad Database can be accessed through the GeoBlue website. More information on reimbursement claims for international travelers may also be found on our webpage.



Does my GeoBlue coverage extend to my personal travel?


Education abroad participants - your GeoBlue coverage begins on your Education abroad program's start date and end two days after your program's end date.

International travelers - your GeoBlue coverage is active for the travel dates entered in the Travelers Abroad Database. Only University-affiliated travel may be entered in the Travelers Abroad Database.

Travelers are encouraged to purchase the additional for their personal travel. If travelers would like to purchase travel comparable to the GeoBlue coverage available through MSU, they may purchase a policy through GeoBlue.